September 13, 2013

Math Whiz

I interviewed a math wizard Named danie evan about her experience in her Math Tournament last August 3, 2013.
So the first question I asked her was how she got in and her steps
on how to win the tournament, she told me this
"I qualified for the month-long training. I have been training for a long time,
my first training session was held during summer.  After that i was assigned to
compete in the 9th Singapore International Math Contest (IMC) which was held lastAugust 3, 2013. This was thanks to an organization called the math trainers guild (MTG), Philippines this would have not been possible without them. I basically just Prayed before the test."


I then ask her if she really does like math or is it just for the grades, but if so why do you like it?
She replied to me with this, "I like math because there's always a certain answer. Numbers are easier for me to understand compared to words. I guess i've been exposed to it at a young age so i feel, comfortable in it."

I guess the moral of this story is if you want to achieve your best you have to do your best because the only one stopping you is you. Out of more than a 100 people who joined the contest she scored in second place, she might not have won in first place but 200 is a big number and she scored second place. She didn't win but she did her best and tried her hardest. If you are failing math just study harder and do the best you can possibly achieve and remember another problem is just a another chance for you to do your best.

written by Ramon Catane
photo courtesy of Diane Mendoza

No comments:

Post a Comment